eFileCabinet Online Glossary of Terms
eFileCabinet Online is your online electronic document management solution that allows you to securely capture, manage and protect all files handled within your office in one central location.
- Cabinet: Cabinets allow you to organize your documents according to categories or departments. For example, you may want a Clients cabinet with a drawer for each client or an HR cabinet with a drawer for each employee.
- Drawer: Just as with a physical file cabinet, your eFileCabinet Online will also have drawers. The Drawers are the folder level directly under the cabinet level. Drawers are indicated with a blue file box icon.
- Folder: You can have as many folders and subfolders as you need inside each Drawer. Just as with a physical file cabinet, Folders are where your documents are kept.
- Profile: Profiles allow you to enter information you would like to attach to a drawer, folder, or file. Profiles are made up of Profile Items. Profile Items are sometimes referred to as metadata which once entered can then be used by the Search feature in locating and retrieving drawers, folders, and files.
- Groups and Users: Groups and Users help you manage who has access to various features and items in your eFileCabinet Online. Examples of Groups would be an Admin Group for all users who have full administrative rights and access, an HR Group for those users who would need access to an HR Cabinet, or a Guest Users Group, for those such as auditors who may need to be restricted to view only permissions.
- Templates and Libraries: Templates allow you to create a folder structure with predefined document names that can be applied to Cabinets, Drawers, Folders, and Subfolders. Templates help you keep your files organized and your filing system consistent from one drawer to the next. Libraries allow you to keep your templates organized in groups of related templates. For example, you may have an Accounting Library with templates for Accounts Payable, Accounts Receivable, Quarterlies, Tax, or Write Ups. Another example would be a Human Resources Library with templates for New Hire, Benefits, Payroll, or Personnel Records.
- Retention: Document retention is a system that allows you to automatically determine what should be done with particular documents at a certain point of time. For example: Automatically delete certain files on a particular day (or at a particular time), have files automatically moved to a new folder, system, directory or site, or copy and/or send files to someone on a certain day or at a certain time.
- Out of Browser Mode: An application installed on your local computer which allows you to access eFileCabinet Online without using your web browser. The Out of Browser application is required to enable some features, such as scanning.
- Workflow: Permits you to move your manual paperâ€based workflow processes to electronic routing within the eFileCabinet Document Management system. With the new workflow tool, users can assign conditional routing to a user or group with custom messaging; allocate document permissions to maintain security; automatically move or copy a file to another folder during the workflow process; approve or deny files and view documents from the workflow dialogue window; and assign document profiles or metadata at the start of the workflow process.
- RightSignature: The easiest, fastest way to get documents signed online (e-signatures). Signatures are legally binding, and compliant with U.S. and International e-Signature laws.