Guest post by David Graham, Chief Product Officer
The documents that we maintain in our businesses that power our document-driven work are an important strategic asset. They can include anything from customer information, company policies, business transactions, patents and intellectual property, contracts and agreements, employee information, and more. As you look at the wide variety of potential company documents, our document security needs aren’t one-size-fits-all. That means that our solutions for document security shouldn’t be one-size-fits-all either.
Document security needs in an organization will vary based on a number of factors. Fortunately, Rubex by eFileCabinet provides customizable solutions that support secure documents in each of these areas.
Unique Requirements for Every Organization
Not every organization has the same security needs for their employees and their documents. This can differ by business size and by how regulated the industry the business operates in is. It can also differ depending on whether they manage a significant amount of customer or employee personal identifiable information (PII), intellectual property (IP), or other sensitive information. Each company should be thoughtful about what security requirements they put in place to meet their obligations without creating unnecessary overhead and requirements on its employees.
Rubex has the most robust set of security options available for a company’s document management needs. This allows you to tailor your security approach based on the unique needs of your organization and stay aligned with your industry’s compliance regulations. This includes:
- Controlling login security, with options to set password requirements, frequency of changing passwords, requiring multi-factor authentication (MFA), and requiring single sign-on (SSO) through an approved service.
- Controlling how and when employees or others use Rubex, including limiting to specific IP addresses, setting specific login times, or setting maximum session times before logging in again.
- Having a complete record of who is accessing documents within Rubex, and easily giving an auditor access to this report.
Types of Documents
Within the same organization, there are also a variety of document security needs depending upon the distinct type of document. Different documents may call for very different rules and policies. Each organization should be thoughtful about the approach to each category of documents they manage, whether it be transactional documents like invoices, customer or employee PII (personal identifiable information), health information regulated by HIPAA, company policies, IP (intellectual property like patents or designs), and even publicly available documents.
Companies using Rubex to power their document-dependent work have access to a platform created to easily and dynamically support the security needs of different document types. This includes:
- Setting customized item permissions for different folders or sets of documents, controlling whether they can be added, viewed, edited, or deleted, and by whom.
- Applying governance rules that can prevent specific documents from being downloaded, shared, edited, or deleted.
- Creating folder templates that automatically apply standardized structure, item permissions, and/or governance rules.
Providing Access to Documents
When it comes to securing your documents, it isn’t just a question of being thoughtful about the type of document, but also about tailoring the solution based on who needs to access them. You might have a wide range of people needing to access your documents—from employees, to customers, to public access for anyone. And within your company you might think differently about employee access based on their specific departments or roles.
Rubex is built to be able to easily adjust access based on the specific person seeking to access the system. The highly flexible solution includes:
- Customized item permissions for different users or groups, managing what folders and documents they can view, add, edit, or delete. Again, this is easy to manage through automated folder templates.
- Dynamic system permissions that can be applied to individual users or easily to groups, such as a department, which control what features they can access. This includes controlling access to creating content, sharing documents, managing governance rules, creating automated workflows, and managing rights of other users or groups.
Changing Needs Over Time
Finally, a company’s approach to their document security will likely change over time. Company policies and government regulations are constantly evolving, making the need for a flexible document management system that can quickly and programmatically make updates to match undisputable.
Additionally, there are policies or regulations, such as GDPR (General Data Protection Regulation), that require specific types of documents to be retained for a specific period of time—not any longer or shorter without being confronted with certain consequences.
Rubex is the most customizable and robust solution to meet an organization’s document needs over time. This includes:
- Ability to change security profiles and item permissions at any time, including quickly applying changes throughout different areas of documents by updating a shared folder template.
- Flexible and automated governance and retention policies that can protect documents for a specified period of time or automatically run an action (such as move or delete) on a set of documents after an established time period.
- Ability to enforce expiration dates for items that are shared.
It is vital for each organization to be thoughtful about their document security solutions based on their specific needs, across their unique set of documents and users. This can be overwhelming and hard to get right, but Rubex offers the broadest and most flexible set of solutions to meet your needs, along with automation that allows you to follow best practices without manual processes and significant overhead. At eFileCabinet, we are familiar with the various needs and pitfalls businesses face and are experts on the best ways to meet those needs. Let’s talk and let us help you create the best personalized solution for your business using Rubex.