The use of document management software (DMS) creates multiple “wins” for both your company and your clients—processes are streamlined, security is heightened, and time is optimized. At eFileCabinet, we want your experience with DMS to be ideal, and as such, we have compiled a few tips and tricks to ensure you avoid the top 3 mistakes people make when they use DMS.
What Is DMS?
First things first, we’ll address the basics of DMS as well as answer some common questions we receive about DMS, which include the following:
- What is document management?
- Who uses these systems?
- Why do they use them?
- Are there some ways that the implementation could be improved?
As we answer these questions, you should get a better idea of how DMS programs work and what they can do to ease your document management woes as well as set the scene for the in-depth questions on the common mistakes made.
Document management, in its primary sense, is the way in which your organization manages, stores, and shares its electronic records. These documents either originate through an electronic generation or by scanning paper documents into the document management system.
DMS programs are used by a wide range of organizations including those found in healthcare, education, government, religious, and business sectors, among others.
Document management systems are used by individuals and groups who are seeking a solution to the 3 main areas of document management, including the following:
- Storage: The best way to create a functional and successful organization is to work with order. Those who use these systems have the ability to scan files into a digital form; drag, drop, and organize files; and to print to a specified directory. What would you do with all of that space now being taken up by thousands and thousands of paper files?
- Search: Using DMS allows organizations to search easily for and find files within seconds. This means no more wasted time trying to remember which folder that proposal was saved under. These systems also allow for easy file browsing and viewing services.
- Share: Last, but certainly not least, many of the organizations using document management software use it because of the ease of digital sharing.
This brings us to our last question about whether there are ways that implementation could be improved. As with many things in life, the answer is a resounding, “Yes!” For this purpose, we will cover the top 3 mistakes made in DMS and how we have addressed these with our own DMS products.
Mistake #1: Overloaded DMS
The 1st mistake people and organizations make when it comes to document management is to have too many users in addition to duplicate or redundant folders, drawers, and cabinets. This mistake costs time, which leads to a loss of production, lost revenue, and lost man hours by searching for the correct document.
- Solution: With eFileCabinet, you can set up a workflow that will save you at least 5 hours in lost productivity per week. You can see how many people a specific document or process passes through and whether a more efficient workflow process is possible.
Mistake #2: File Clutter
The 2nd mistake often made is becoming cluttered with out-of-date files. This creates a few problems, including bloated folders, potential file loss, and security issues—not to mention the distractions caused by searching for the right file for the looming task ahead.
- Solution: Use eFileCabinet’s automated document retention. Document retention allows you to automatically specify what should be done with particular documents at a given point in time. A few of the options include automatic deletion of a certain file at a given time, automatic file movement to a specified directory, folder, site, or system.
Mistake #3: Forgetting Industry Compliance
Security is a must in today’s digital age, but it is even more paramount for organizations that need document management that is compliant with HIPAA, FINRA, and the SEC. The 3rd mistake is using DMS that does not meet industry-specific security compliance standards.
- Solution: eFileCabinet products make audits and compliance super easy. Our products fulfill all of the requirements for safe and compliant document storage, retrieval, and sharing. Additionally, by correcting the first two mistakes, you can be sure your DMS is up to speed and organized for seamless industry compliance during audits.
Put Our DMS to Work
With eFileCabinet products, you can be sure that your organization will save time and money while increasing industry compliance and productivity. Don’t wait to put our DMS products to work for your unique needs—fill out the form for a 15-minute demo of eFileCabinet software.